Would you like to know more about the charming world of rom hacking? Then all you need to do is keep reading, as today’s guest for the “We are gamers” series is not only a retro gamer, but also an avid rom hack player.
In addition to that – and as a personal note – I have mad respect for him, because he has zero tolerance against online bullying, and is not one to back down when it comes to exposing them.
The gaming community definitely needs more people like him.
That said, the floor is yours, my friend…
1. Welcome The Gamer Clone and many thanks for accepting my invitation. For a starter, please introduce yourself to RGL’s readers.
I am a U.S. Navy Veteran and gamer born in 82. I create content mostly on Tiktok; I do have some on YouTube. A lot of my followers know that I hate ET for The Atari 2600 and I use it as a coaster. Most of my content Is related to romhacking and 3rd party hardware. The majority of my live streams are playing ROM hacks on TikTok.
2. What was the first video game you ever played?
The first game I remember playing was Space Invaders for the Atari 2600. I was 5 years old.
3. What about the first gaming system you ever owned?
My father brought home an Atari 2600 Darth Vader Edition. He got it used, but it came with a lot of games. He also enjoyed playing; I used to watch him beat Pitfall 2.
4. Were you an arcade gamer? If you were, what about your favorite titles back in the 80s/90s?
In the 80s and 90s, I loved the arcades. When my father went bowling, I used to play in the arcade room. In the mid-2000s, I was stationed in Japan in the U.S. Navy and occasionally played the arcades there. My favorite 80s/90s titles were Street Fighter 2, X-Men, and Ninja Turtles.
5. I am going to name a few video game genres: please tell me your favorite retro title for each of them:
a) Adventure – Zelda Links Awakening (Gameboy)
b) Platformers – Donkey Kong 94 (Gameboy)
c) Puzzle Games – Tetris Blast (Gameboy)
d) RPGs – Breath of Fire 2 (SNES)
e) Racers – Mario Kart 64 (N64)
f) Soccer/Football – Megaman Soccer (SNES)
g) Sports Games – Basewars (NES)
h) Any other games whose genre I did not mention?
Beat Em Up – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 Manhattan Project (NES)
Third Person Shooter – Doom (PC)
6. While growing up, what gaming system did you have the most fun with? Are you still a regular gamer?
I have many great memories with the NES. It was the first time that I had to save money to get one. It taught me that I had to work for what I wanted. The NES was around during the time of renting video games, which I miss. It also helped me bond with my childhood friends. I am still a regular gamer today.
7. What is your relationship with the online gaming world? Do you play online with your friends/family members/random gamers?
I don’t do online gaming. I personally rather be in the same room with my friends and family playing multiplayer.
8. What are your finest memories related to video games?
Video games did a lot for me. It brought friends and family together. It was also a good temporary escape from reality.
9. What prompted you to start a TikTok page?
I originally did it to promote my YouTube page. After the first few weeks, I started to enjoy making Tiktok videos, and I put more focus on my TikTok page.
10. What is the goal of The_Gamer_Clone?
I have a couple.
– To show people the different options to play retro games.
– To show the work done by ones who make romhacks.
11. Last but not least: any future plans or secret wishes?
If I ever get a chance to monetize my content, I would like to use half the money to fund making more content.