The potential of PSP is truly limitless; its gaming strength is not only powered by the great titles released for the console but it can also play games designed for other consoles like SEGA or GB by using emulators. Now, another gaming experience is added to the list. With a little reconfiguration, you can play PS1 games on your PSP. How to do it? Well, here’s a short guide to unleash your PSPs gaming power:
* Sony PSP with battery charged at least 75%.(Recommended: Full charge)
* Memory Stick Duo (Recommended: 1GB and above)
The first step to running your custom made PlayStation games on your PSP involves getting the 3.02 OE-B (stands for Open Edition).
Starting with firmware 1.50
The first step is to have a PSP that is running on the 1.5 version of the PSP firmware. You can check for this by going into the System “System Settings” on your PSP, then System Information.
Important note: There is a version of the PSP’s motherboard known as TA-082, which, will not work under this situation. Do not attempt to continue with the installation if you have this motherboard. For more information, see The PSP-TA082 guide.
If you don’t have a 1.5 firmware, you can downgrade your PSP. If you don’t know how, just refer to the internet, there are many guides out there on how to downgrade any version.
Installing the 3.02 OE-A firmware:
1. First, download the official Sony PSP 1.50 Firmware and 3.02 Firmware, available here:
PSP 1.50 Firmware
PSP 3.02 Firmware .
2. Rename the 1.50 Firmware to 150.PBP, and the 3.02 firmware to 302.PBP.
3. Download the 3.02 Open Edition A from the here. Extract the files to the directory of your choice.
4. Copy the files 150.PBP and 302.PBP to the directory called oeupdmaker.
5. Copy the directories 302oeflasher, 302oeflasher%, oeupdmaker, oeupdmaker% to your PSP under the /PSP/GAME/ directory.
6. Go into your Game on your PSP menu, select Memory Card, and run 3.02 OE-A Update Maker. This will extract files from the 1.50 and 3.02 firmware to create the new custom firmware.
7. Reconnect your PSP to your computer. In the owupdmaker on your PSP is a new file titled DATA.DXAR. Copy this file to the 302oeflaster directory.
8. Run the program on your PSP called 3.02 OE-A Firmware Install. Do not turn off your PSP at this moment.
9. Wait – when it’s done, your PSP will reboot, and you’ll have your 3.02 OE-A firmware.
Upgrade to 3.02 OE-B:
1. Download the 3.02 OE-B installer from here.
2. Extract the directory.
3. Make new folder in you PSP’s directory name it GAME150.
4. Copy the folder OEB_UPDATE to your /PSP/GAME150 directory on your PSP.
5. On your PSP, run the program titled 3.02 OE-B Update.
6. That’s it – it will update, then exit. You can now backup your PS1 games and play them on your PSP.